Don't forget to click on the images for a closer look...

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Blog launch

This is in all likelihood the longest post you're ever going to read here, so bear with me, this won't hurt (much).

The aim of this blog will be to share some of the portraits I've made recently of friends, co-workers and their relatives. Most of these are (trying to be) faithful representations based on actual pictures. I'm working from photographs, partly because I'm slow (a large portrait will take anything from 3 to 6 hours to complete), but mainly because I've had no artistic instruction whatsoever and don't really *know* what I'm doing. I think that's okay, since I'm only doing this for fun and give away the finished works to the people who requested/modelled for them.

For the time being (at least), the scans you see will be of old fashioned graphite pencil drawings. I try to experiment with different techniques and effects, but tend to stick with higher and lower concentrations of small dots for simulating shades and highlights in skintones. Trials with colours and paints have yielded interesting, but not really satisfying results, so don't expect to see any of those on here soon.

I've only been doing this for a couple of months now, mainly to show a girl I could still surprise her after all this time (isn't that how we tend to make all big and small decisions in life, ey?), so hopefully there is some improvement yet to be made.

So anyway, if you're still reading this, you'll know by now that you didn't *really* need this information to enjoy the pictures. I wish I could give you back the few minutes of your life you spent reading this, but let's face it, you would only have wasted them anyway...


S. of W.

3 comments:

Charles SIX said...

Bonne chance. Tes admirateurs veulent voir encore plus de dessins.

Anonymous said...

Nice pics.

When do we get to see some self-portraits?

BTW, is your pet turkey still alive?

Greets from stockholm,
G.

S. of W. said...

Tnx.

Not anytime soon. :)

No and it was not MY pet turkey. :)